1. Have Fun! Do things that bring you joy and laughter as it can create better physical, emotional and mental health for you. If you are not brought joy by whatever it is you are doing in your life, then find something that will bring you joy!
2. Take A moment of silence before you eat your meals. Be thankful for what you have. This will prepare your body to accept the nutritious food you are about to eat. Can you say……Attitude of gratitude?? Think this doesn’t work, try it for a week and see how much better you feel. Too often we just cram the food down without even being grateful for what we have. You don’t have to pray or be religious to do this, just a simple 5 or 10 seconds thinking of how lucky your are to have a meal and the nutrition that it provides for your body and mind.
3. Get to know your salad dressing! No….not build a relationship with it, but merely just be aware of what’s in it. Many dressings have high calorie, fat and sugar content. Go with simple vinegar based. Maybe it doesn’t taste as good as the mound of ranch that you would normally put on it, but hey……what’s the point of eating a salad then. Might just as well have a cheeseburger, fries and your ranch with that.
4. “The whiter the bread, the wider the spread, the sooner I’m dead! Have some color in the bread!” Wayne Pickering said that and quite frankly I don’t know who he is, but I couldn’t have put it better. White bread…NO NO!! Eat wholegrain and wheat bread. Most foods that are white like bread, rice and sugar are significantly less nutritious after being milled and processed. Eat whole wheat and multigrain for one month and likely you will get used to it.
5. Absolutely NO exercise when you are sick and especially when you have a fever. Your body needs all the time it can get to go through the healing process. It needs the energy to heal itself. There are NO benefits to exercising when you are sick and will even likely slow down the recovery process! SOOOO many times in my tenure as a health professional have I heard people say things like “I just have to sweat it out” or “I’m just going to burn it off”. This is just ignorant and foolish. If you really care about your body then let it rest.